Sunday, November 7, 2010

Pumpkin Dessert


Last weekend was Halloween and I felt like I was baking all weekend. Probably because I was. But no complaints here. Last Friday Brian and I went to a couples Halloween party and I had to bring a dessert. I knew it would be something pumpkin, tis the season, but I wasn't sure which one until my mom reminded me of the Muncy School pumpkin dessert. Muncy is my mom's school and a teacher at her school, Cindy, gets requests to make it each year. My mom got the recipe and made this for us a few times and I loved it. I already had the recipe, but I hadn't made it myself yet. This is one of those pumpkin desserts that is more like pumpkin pie, not like cakes or cookies. It has a crust made with a cake mix, a crunchy topping and in between is pure pumpkin bliss. I got tons of complements on this dessert. We like it super cold straight from the fridge, and I think a little whipped cream would send this already delicious dessert over the top. I had some left over after the Friday night party and I wanted to serve it up for my dinner guests on Sunday, but I didn't want to put out a half eaten pan of dessert. So I cut pieces and put them in cupcake liners and put them on a cake plate. That worked out great. It was a super easy way to cut it up before hand and make it presentable. Add this one to your recipes under pumpkin desserts, for sure!




Pumpkin Dessert

Ingredients:
1 yellow cake mix
1 cube cold butter
29 oz can pumpkin
12 oz evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 cup sugar
chopped walnuts (or nut of choice)

Directions:
Cut cold butter into yellow cake mix with pastry cutter or knives. Save out one cup. Press remaining mix into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.

Mix:
can of pumpkin
evaporated milk
eggs

In a new bowl mix:
brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
cinnamon
ginger
cloves
(or 2 tsp of pumpkin spice)

Mix pumpkin mixture with sugars and pour over crust.

Take 1/4 cup sugar and mix it with the 1 cup of reserved cake mix. Sprinkle over top. Sprinkle about 1 cup chopped nuts over top.

Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails