Monday, September 27, 2010

Russian Chicken


I'm not sure how the weather is in your part of the country, but the heat wave in Orange County continues on. It was 105 in Costa Mesa today. We do not have air conditioning in our little apartment, which usually isn't a problem because we get a nice coastal breeze. Today, there was no coastal breeze to be found. So because of this little situation I present to you a slow cooker meal that won't heat your kitchen up, if you can handle eating warm food. (Brian and I had Subway tonight, then I spent the rest of the evening in a movie theater and now I'm eating frozen yogurt while I type this up! Brian braved the heat at an Angles game.)

My sister asked me if this Russian chicken recipe was considered a "semi-homemade" recipe, and yes, it totally is. While I didn't get the recipe from Sandra Lee I'm pretty sure she would love it. But this semi-homemade dish is really delicious. I love how the chicken, after being in the slow cooker, just falls apart. And the sauce is sweet, love that! Serve it over rice, that you cook in the rice cooker so as to not heat up the kitchen, and you are good to go. Quick, easy, and keeps the kitchen cool.

Serves 4-6 (Depending on how much sauce you like):
4-6 chicken breasts
1 16 oz. bottle Russian Dressing
1 packet dry onion soup mix (I used Lipton)
1 10 oz. jar apricot preserves/jam

Combine First sauce ingredients in a bowl
Season Chicken with salt and pepper and place in the bottom of slow cooker
Pour mixture over Chicken
Cook on Low for 6-8 Hours (or on High for 3-4 hours)

On a not so hot day this recipe can also be made in the oven, follow steps exactly except place chicken in a casserole dish and bake at 350 for one hour

Serve over rice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails