Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pizzeria Mozza


The last food stop on our weekend trip to LA was Pizzeria Mozza Friday afternoon. This was Brian's suggestion. He had been wanting to go there for a while. In fact, I tried to get reseverations for his birthday in January, but called too far in advance and then too late, and they were booked. Pizzeria Mozza is headed up by Mario Batali and some other talented chefs. I had eaten at Mario's New York restaurant, and loved it. We got there about 4:00 pm and were hoping to get a table. We lucked out and they said we could have the table until it was needed at 5:15 pm. Perfect.

We both ordered pizzas, and I started out with an insalata mista. I enjoyed the mixed greens with a tangy oil and vinaigrette dressing. I got the basic Margherita with mozzarella, tomato & basil pizza. But it wasn't basic at all. It had plenty of sauce for my liking, and the thin crust pizza was a nice mix between crunchy and soft crust. Brian ordered the Prosciutto di Parma, with rucola, tomato & mozzarella. Of course I made him give me a slice. The prosciutto was so good! I don't have prosciutto too often, but this was a nice thin cut, not too much fat and worked well with his sauce, which was a bit sweeter than mine. We loved both of the pizzas. (And there are plenty other choices to go back for.) The pizza were a perfect size, cut into four pieces. We ate about half of each because we had to save room for dessert.



When my good friend Kimberly took me to Mario's restaurant in NY she was raving about a dessert that was made with olive oil ice cream. It sounded kind of interesting to me, not sure what to expect. But turns out it was amazing. So I was very excited to see on the list of gelato, here, the olive oil flavor. I really wanted Brian to try it. It's definitely different, but it's so, so good. You just have to try it. It is almost like a sweet cream flavor, with olive oil mixed in. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Amazing. With your order you got three flavors so we also got the mint chip and peanut butter. They were both good. The peanut butter was salty, which was a nice compliment to the sweet. Brian also ordered some almond biscotti. He said they were really good, but biscotti is too dry for my liking.



We had a great dining experience at Mozza, and we were super excited when our architect friend told us his firm was designing a Mozza to go on PCH in Newport Beach.

(Sorry the quality of the pictures isn't the best, an i phone was all I had.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails