Sunday, March 14, 2010

Candied Pecans


Have you ever had candied pecans? They are so addictive. I've been making them to put in salads to add an extra crunch, but while I'm waiting to eat my salad, I'm chowing down on the pecans just like they are candy. So, I thought I'd share how I candy my pecans. I researched a lot of recipes and many of them use egg whites, and a variety of spices but I've found a simple one to one ratio of sugar and water, with a dash of salt works like a charm. I just mix the water and sugar in a shallow pan on the stove top and heat it until it comes to a boil, then add the pecans. Cook them on low. The mixture will still be watery, but the more it cooks, it will eventually turn into a syrup. This could take up to 30 minutes. So low and slow for these guys, I've burnt my fair share trying to speed up the process. When they mixture turns to a thick syrup I move the pecans to a cookie sheet and let them cool. I like to dust them with a tiny bit of sugar while they're still hot. Once they cool, break them up and add them to just about anything, or eat them plain for an oh so tasty snack. If you happen to have some left over, just put them in the freezer, they are so good cold. And they are always great to have on hand.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails