Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Saint Patricks's Day!


I know I'm a few days late, but on the actual day I did make some delicious sugar cookies. I used my same, original recipe that I always have, but I tried a little thing new with the frosting. I had seem some frosted sugar cookies that had nice shiny frosting and I wanted my frosting to shine. So I did some research and I found something called glycerin. I found it at Michael's, it's a Wilton product. (I'm sure others make it too.) The description says that it is for restoring consistency and color to frosting, and I guess in the meantime, it makes your frosting shine. It was cheap too, about $1.99 for 2 ounces.

I made my frosting as usual, and then I stirred in a few drops, maybe a 1/4 tsp of glycerin. As the frosting dried it still had that nice, freshly frosted shine.

Sugar Cookie Frosting:
1 pound box powdered sugar
6 TBS butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
(Food coloring)
Mix together with mixer. Add milk by tsp if not runny enough.

2 comments:

  1. They look great! I had great hopes of baking shamrock cookies--but cooking for one is not very motivating, and all of my coworkers are on Weight Watchers, so not good bringing them into work :) I took a cookie decorating class at that school I was telling you about, and I believe that they also recommended meringue powder for shininess--but I can't remember for sure without checking my notes. Have you ever checked out this blog? http://www.melskitchencafe.com/ She has some great recipes, and some interesting tips. I think you will like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually tried the meringue powder and it's supposed to help the the frosting dry hard too. I didn't put enough in to help, but that's my project for next time. What's the name of the school you're going to?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails