Thursday, March 24, 2011

Oregon Ducks Cupcakes

The same weekend I made all those wedding cupcakes I was asked by another friend at work to make cupcakes for her son's baseball team party. I asked if there was a theme and she said their team was the Oregon Ducks and their colors were yellow and green. Apparently all the teams in the league are named after colleges. I took that and ran with it. I searched out the Oregon Ducks logo on the internet and liked the simple "O" they used. The night before, when I was waiting for the wedding cookies to dry, I came across a video that showed how to pipe royal icing onto wax paper, that could then be used to top cakes or cupcakes. That was in the back of my mind, and since I'm not that great at freehanding logos just yet, I thought this would work out perfectly for the Oregon O.
  
I printed out some Os and taped them to the table. I took wax paper and placed it over the top. As I finished one O, I would move the wax paper around and pipe several Os on the same paper.
 First, trace the shape, as if piping the outside of a cookie.


 Then fill the shape in. I used the same consistency of royal icing to pipe as I did to fill. My frosting is on the thicker side, I using the ten second rule to gauge. I wanted to make sure my lines would hold. 
These needed to dry overnight, just like royal icing on a cookie would. The next morning I frosted the cupcakes and placed the O on top of the wet frosting. I thought they turned out fantastic! The best part was, a guy friend walked in and said, "Oh, Oregon cupcakes, cool." They were recognizable, mission accomplished! I love this little cheating way of getting the logo to match almost exactly. I will definitely use this technique in the future. Even if I do get a little better at free handing, I thought the royal icing decorations were so fun as cupcake toppers.
Just a few notes on the actual cupcakes. I used Barefoot Contessa coconut cupcakes for the cake, just without the coconut. It was the perfect white cake.  For the frosting I used a new buttercream frosting recipe I found on Food Network. I loved it! These was the perfect combination of frosting and cake.

4 comments:

  1. You are turning out to be amazing baker! Now the big question is..where did you find those adorable cake stands? I have to have them NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I actually got those at Crate and Barrel when I got married, so two years ago. They are two separate ones. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Hope you don't mind if i copy it for a tailgate party for the Duck/LSU game! Go Ducks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just tried the royal icing O's out last night - worked great! But I think I need an even finer tipped writer because mine didn't come out as neat as these did but they hardened in the fridge and lifted easily from the wax paper as expected. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails