Thursday, July 1, 2010

Lime Chicken


I'm always looking for easy week night meals, and now that it's warm outside I love it when I don't have to turn on the oven. This lime chicken recipe meets both those criteria. I got this recipe from my mother in law, Kathleen. We had a big taco, burrito and taco salad night at her house and she made this chicken. It was fabulous. She gave me the recipe and I finally tried it this week. It was so easy, you can just throw it in the crock pot. I even put my chicken breasts in the crock pot frozen, and it only took three hours on high. When I checked it the chicken fell apart into beautiful shredded pieces, perfect for stuffing burritos or toppping salads. We finished our burritos off with Spanish rice, black beans, guacamole, cilantro lime sour cream, tomatoes and home cooked tortillas. (We buy the ready made, but not cooked tortillas from Costco, they are amazing. Way less work then making them yourself, but totally taste like you did!) Very little prep time for this one, and the house stayed nice and cool! Enjoy.

Lime Chicken

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat, salt and peppered
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lime, juiced
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano

Place whole chicken breasts in crock pot (can be frozen). Mix all other ingredients together and spread over chicken. Cook on high for three hours. (Less time if chicken is not frozen.)

Stovetop instructions:
Cut chicken into pieces. Saute chicken in a medium saucepan over medium high heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra 10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails