Sunday, August 22, 2010

Salsa!


About a week ago our wonderful friends Andy and Jennifer gave us a huge bag of perfectly red and delicious homegrown tomatoes. I can't even remember the last time I saw tomatoes that looked anything close to these in the grocery store. (Note to self: grow your own garden next year.) I intended to create a wonderful dinner using these beauties, but, confession, I haven't been cooking too much dinner these days. My sister invited us over for taco salad last week and I thought, Yes! I can make salsa with my lovely tomatoes. Now, another confession, I've never actually made salsa before, but I had my brother, who spent two years in Mexico, show me the ropes.

The ingredients for the salsa are simple. Garrett said that the food he ate in Mexico wasn't at all glamorous, and keeping it simple is what the people in his areas were all about. So while I diced up about 6-8 tomatoes (I honestly didn't count), Gar was busy dicing an onion, finely chopping up a jalapeno, about a fourth of the pepper. We also minced up one clove of garlic, and a bunch of cilantro. We mixed that all together, and poured out a little bit of the juice, so we could add the juice of a half a lime. (These tomatoes were particularly juicy.) Add a little salt and pepper to taste and we had the most delicious salsa I've ever had. We topped our taco salad and burritos with it and the salsa made all the difference. I didn't even use a salad dressing!



I think this is a fool proof salsa recipe, but I must admit, I think most of the flavor came the homegrown tomatoes. So make sure your tomatoes are red, juicy and full of fresh flavor.

Garrett's Salsa
(All amounts can be adjusted to taste)
6-8 tomatoes, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1/4 jalapeno, small dice
1 clove garlic, small dice
1 bunch cilantro (a little less than one bunch)
juice of 1/2 lime
salt and pepper


1 comment:

  1. We need to make more salsa soon! That dinner was so good. And our salads looks so professional. Those are cook book photos right there! I love your cooking blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails