Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day



My family came to visit after Christmas, and one of those days my mom and I spent cooking all day. It was crazy, in my little kitchen we had no less than four things going at a time. But the one recipe that was new to both of us was a recipe for Artisan Bread in just five minutes a day. I found a post on a blog about it, then did some research about the books that were written, and I knew I had to try it out. Supposedly it's only supposed to take you five minutes of hands on time to make this fabulous bread. And fabulous it was. And the ingredients are so simple and way cheap. Water, yeast, salt, flour, over and out. For such a simple bread, it got rave reviews from all my family and friends. It's a new staple in our house. I just baked up two more loaves tonight. Brian and a half on one in one sitting. And Dad requested another loaf for his birthday dinner!

There were a few things that Mom and I thought would make it a little bit better. First, the recipe says not to knead it, that it's not necessary, but I think a little more mixing could be good. We got a few people saying that some bites were saltier than others, or little bits of flour here and there not mixed in. But maybe that's just my poor mixing job.

I didn't use a pizza stone or any fancy baking surface. I just sprayed a cookie sheet and away we went. Also, we didn't have any cornmeal so we just didn't use it, no big deal, but I could see how that would be a nice touch. I did put the pan of water in the oven and it definitely made the outside crunchy. Both batches I made I forgot to put flour on the outside and slash the top of the bread, obviously doesn't matter for taste, but I thought they still looked good without it.

I think I loved this recipe so much because it's different from the dinner rolls mom has been making for years. And it gives me a little encouragement that I won't have to buy my husband bread from Panera quite so often. Give it a whirl, and I'm sure you'll love it.




artisan bread in five minutes website
Recipe

4 comments:

  1. What a darling blog! As I scrolled down your posts I saw that we both got the same food processor for Christmas- I still need to learn how to use mine . . . it will come. I've been making the bread from the Artisan Bread in Five for the past year and love it! And their new book Healthy Bread in Five is great too. It really doesn't need to be kneaded, but I use a stand mixer to put it together and it works great. I'm glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Those darling loaves look mighty fine nestled in that cute little red box!! So mouth-watering. Love the whole thing. You are amazing and definitely a third generation baker:) Congratulations on the bread and the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy bread sis. You're totally showing me up. I'm just waiting for my hubby to ask why I'm not baking him all of these goodies like you do for B and Mom does for Dad, since after all, I am related to you and Mom, our family's personal food network stars. You should put a link to your etsy store on here. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments! It makes me feel so loved. And now that I know people are actually reading this, I'll have to blog more.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails